Monday, August 12, 2019

What a story this could be...

I was pleased to see a story in the New York Times this morning about Dr. Robert Ballard planning to take a fresh look at the disappearance of Amelia Earhart.
I think her story is one of the great mysteries of the past century, but I am hoping the full story can somehow be revealed in my lifetime. Anyone who knows me, knows I am an aviation nut!
The Times story outlined that Dr. Ballard (the same guy who found the Titanic) is now planning to do a search based on new evidence that recently revealed that a piece of landing gear from a twin-engine Lockheed Electra, the same plane Earhart was flying as she attempted a round the world flight in 1937, was inadvertently photographed on a remote island.
Earhart and her co-pilot Fred Noonan vanished over the Pacific Ocean in the first week of July of that year. Despite the massive search, the U.S. Navy concluded their plane simply crashed into the ocean and was lost forever.
But now with this new evidence pinpointing a tiny island in the South Pacific things could change. What a story this could be!
(PHOTO CREDIT: New York Times)

No comments: