Wednesday, August 21, 2019

Newest issue ...

So this is what I do. I produce this magazine. This is the second issue for me this year where I did the writing and all the background work. So that's good. But there are two things going on here. About a month ago, I was stopped at a social event by a woman who works for the city's economic development office. She said the journal doesn't focus at all on women. I said I didn't notice but did mention that mining is still very much a male dominated industry.
So I was glad to put a photo of mine general manager Stella Holloway on the cover. But I had decided on that long before I was confronted. People make better photos than mining machines.
The second thing is that the company featured in the story is MacLean Engineering. Interestingly, the owner of the company, Donald MacLean travelled to Sudbury to get work back in the 1950s and then eventually opened his own mining equipment business. He is from Cape Breton. I have to wonder if there is any family connection. After all, my mom was a MacLean from Sydney

No comments: