Saturday, January 25, 2014

Yes, it sure is like January around here...

Holy crap, where has January gone? I said that at work the other day, only because I am always working ahead on the paper. Our next edition comes out on January 30th, so I think that is what prompted my question. I think it might have been more appropriate to ask where the time has gone in general. It was 40 years ago this week I arrived in Timmins as a young student reporter eager to prove myself in the news business. So I am still working on that.
Timmins is just one of the best places I can imagine. I have lived in other places, but Timmins seems to be the place where people are very welcoming. That has been my experience. I moved away for several years in the Eighties and Nineties, but I can tell you I was sure pleased to come back.  So that's a good thing.
The cold weather has continued throughout most of January. I don't mind that so much. There has been lots of snow this year as well, but people are grumbling about the poor level of snow removal. I can only say I am glad I drive only four-by-fours these days.
The cold weather has also prompted me to change my cooking habits. I have enjoyed several winter soup dishes these past few weeks. Also, while I have been trying to stay away from red meat, I enjoyed a wonderful ribeye on Saturday. I think that was the first steak I had since before Christmas... and oh it was so good. 
And for some reason this month, I haven't been eating much in the way of veggies, but I have indeed been packing away the fruit. I bought some pears this week and I love waiting until they're a bit overripe. Then I tear into it and just love how sweet, juicy and slurpy they get.
I was just going to sign off, but I should mention I went out this week and bought new skates. I haven't been skating for 20 years! But I was out taking pictures at a local rink and suddenly got the urge. I was worried a bit about my left foot, which I broke some years ago. The last time I was skating (in Sudbury) I remember the skate being very uncomfortable. I find the skates I purchased this week are wayyyy more comfortable.
I was going to go to the rink this morning, but the temperature was minus 36 so I will wait until this afternoon.

No comments: