Saturday, November 17, 2012

Funerals ...

One of the things I like about Timmins is that people pull over to the side of the road when a funeral motorcade passes.  I noticed that today coming down Pine Street. I saw the hearse and the long line of other cars, so I just pulled aside for a few minutes. I was pleased to see other motorists doing the same thing. It’s just a simple way to respect the grieving family I suppose. The other thing I noticed was that I knew the family. A couple I know lost their 25 year old son this week in less-than-normal circumstances. Police were called and drugs might have been involved. The issue is still with the police. I feel terrible about it. Parents should not have to endure that kind of pain. The other thing I feel bad about is that I did not go to the funeral home to pay my respects to the family. Because the issue is in the news, I didn’t want anyone thinking I might be there snooping around. I know most people would have known better, but with all the family has to deal with I didn’t think they needed any extra anxiety for any reason. Another nice thing about Timmins is that the town is small enough that you see the people you know quite often. When the time is right, I will be sure to say something kind to the parents.

       This Saturday is a bit slow for me. But that's good. I had a full house last night over for dinner. I spent all day Friday preparing a nice pasta supper. There was 12 of us altogether. That was the easy part. The real work was preparing all the appetizers, the salads and anti-pasto befrore anyone showed up. I wanted to do a nice dinner. I think it worked. We all munched and drank litres of red wine until 9:00 p.m. Then we had dinner! Talk about big appetites. We had two sittings for the spaghetti!  But the company was nice. Also, I didn't have to worry about calling a cab to get home. By 1:00 a.m. everyone was gone and I did one load of dishes, pots and pans before going to bed. I had two more loads this morning. Had to recycle seven wine bottles. Give the neighbours something to gossip about eh.

No comments: