Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Whisky, whisky and me ...

I was absolutely delighted today to learn something new about whisky and about my own taste in whisky. I have a new textbook on the history of world whiskies and how various forms were developed. People who know me know I am not a whisky snob. I don’t stick to single-malts, only. I like some very nice blended whiskies. Two of my favourites are J&B and Cutty Sark. Can you imagine my surprise when I discovered that both brands were developed more than 80 years ago by master blender Charles H. Julian. As the story goes, Julian created Cutty first, for the U.S. market. It was such a hit that he was hired by Justerini & Brooks to create a similar blend for the U.K. market. Well that just blew me away because I remember the first time I tasted both ( a couple of years apart) and thinking what a nice whisky it was. Tonight I will drink a toast, or two, to Mr. Julian. By the way, that photo is from the blog posting I first entered here on August 3, 2006. Go ahead and check the archives over there on the right side of the page. Soon, I will explain why I have changed my style of whisky glass.

No comments: