Saturday, September 10, 2011

My newest addiction!

I can't believe I am addicted to old news stories. I was reading a novel Friday and I wanted to check some historical facts ... so I went online and found myself looking at a website that had old newspaper stories. Here's the thing. The website gave the first two paragraphs of the story and then stopped. If you want to read more, you have to pay. So I clicked on the pay website and learned that the first month is only 99-cents and then it is $15 a month after that. You can quit anytime after you sign up. So I signed up.It was about 9:00 p.m. when i started. I got my access code and password to news stories going all the way back to 1850. The NY Times has more than a million stories! Before I knew it, I was deep into reading stories from the last 100 years by some of the world's best news writers. I was thrilled to read original stories by Ernest Hemingway. Two glasses of whiskey later I looked at the clock in the dining room and it was 2:25 a.m. I had been reading for about five hours and barely noticed it. Well it's Saturday morning. I have fresh pot of tea on and I will read as long as I can before I get feeling guilty about staying inside on such a nice day.

No comments: