Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Great television.

I have not been a big fan of television in recent years. Too much trash on TV. But I have spent the past few weeks totally absorbed in watching the last two complete seasons of a fabulous, award-winning political series called The West Wing. That is 44 one-hour episodes!
If you haven't seen it, buy the DVD. It's the best television of the last ten years. I am not much of a critic of acting, but I liked the actors. Martin Sheen was an excellent President of the United States. What was really good was the writing. It made me think. It made me laugh, it made me cry, it made me cheer. It's one television program that I believe is better than reading a book.

Here's a good quote from the show:
"The problem with living outside the law is that you no longer have the protection of it."

Here's a funny sample of one scene:
Leo McGarry: We spent millions of dollars developing a pen that could write in space.
Do you know what the Russians did?
Josh Lyman: Used a pencil?
Leo McGarry: Used a pencil.

No comments: