Monday, March 06, 2006

Visiting Ottawa

This is a catch-up posting because I got back home to Timmins tonight after spending a couple of weeks on the road. I was in Ottawa for a few days, where I visited the Canadian aviation museum. It was indeed cool since I got a nice close up look at a Canadian F86 Sabre ... it brought back one of my earliest childhood memories. I used to live on an RCAF jet fighter base in France. The first airplanes I ever saw were Sabres from 439 Squadron. I was a little kid and it used to scare the sh*t out of me everytime a flight of Sabres thundered overhead. The F86 was invented by the Americans, but perfected by the Canadians, with the introduction of the ORENDA engine, which at the time, made it the fastest fighter in the world. I also got a a chance to see the shell of a Bomarc missile from 446 Squadron. That was the last squadron my Dad was assigned to, in North Bay, ON. The missile is huge -- nearly four storeys tall. Something many Canadians don't know is that the Bomarc was Canada's first nuclear missile. It was designed to intercept Soviet bombers back in the days of the Cold War. ~ Oh by the way, I have learned that I was in Ottawa the day after a couple of my cousins were visiting. Do I feel dumb or what? Oh well, I should try to keep in touch more.

2 comments:

john picken said...

My grandfather was the 2nd last CO at North Bay.

You may enjoy this webpage about 446 that I created:

http://www.castlearchdale.net//id38.html


John Picken

Len said...

Thank you kindly for your comments. I visited your website and it was excellent. I loved all the photos and news clippings. Great work! Thanks again for sharing. Len.