Monday, January 18, 2021

I like SPAM!

 I was explaining this to Jennifer a couple of days ago, so I should share it here. I have been reading like crazy lately. One of the books I came across was a World War II novel where it described how several of the U.S. soldiers in the story were eating a Hormel canned meat product called SPAM. Well that got my attention because when I was a kid, we ate SPAM at home. 

Maybe it's a military thing. I liked it when I was a kid, but honestly I never bought it before as an adult. There was an occasion many, many years when I was on a canoe trip -- with some military guys -- and sure enough we had SPAM among our rations. I loved it. It tasted great. So fast forward to Christmas 2020 and I was out grocery shopping when I noticed SPAM. So I bought a can, took it home and made a few sandwiches. I loved it! Yeah, so now I am a spam guy. I have even fried up a couple of slices with fried eggs, beans and toast. Love it! 

Then last week I was reading another novel, also World War II, but by a different author. The story line was about RAF bomber squadrons flying out over the North Sea chasing Nazi merchant ships. At one point after a terribly cold and bitter patrol, the fellows returned to base to have hot tea and SPAM sandwiches. It was their comfort food! I was so pleased to read that. So now I have sandwiches at least once a week, but I know I will have to look up some recipes and expand my culinary opportunities. 

No comments: