Tuesday, June 11, 2019

Road trip to Timmins ...


I was on the road last week as I went to Timmins to take in the annual Big Event Mining Expo. The trip was good as I travelled via North Bay up through Temagami, Latchford, Cobalt, Haileybury, New Liskeard, Kirkland Lake and Matheson. I enjoyed stopping in KL to check out the new headframe at the Macassa mine where they're spending $320 million for the new 7,000 foot shaft. It is amazing that they found an entirely new gold zone there. This is rejuvenating the town's economy nicely.

The mining show was good but I think I enjoyed meeting old friends more than anything. I had breakfast two days in a row at the McIntyre Coffee Shop and I don't think I stopped saying hello for an hour. I met everyone for a chat; the old mayor, the new mayor and even Tom Luke the bagpiper. It was also nice to meet all the reporters I used to work with. The drive home was uneventful, but I did have a feeling that I miss Timmins. I enjoy Sudbury so much, but Timmins will always be a special place for me.

No comments: