Tuesday, February 19, 2019

The things you hear ...

One of the interesting things about this job is covering court. More people should drop by their local courts to sit in for a morning or afternoon to listen in on what goes on. You would be shocked, amazed, confused and frustrated by the things you hear. 
Interestingly a lot of the testimony said in open court is not reported by the media. That's because the lawyers usually seek a ban on publication. That's an interesting part of the Criminal Code of Canada that disallows any public reporting that might endanger the chances of an accused person getting a fair trial.
If there is too much information revealed before a jury is selected, then there is a chance that no one would have an unbiased impression about the accused person.
None of the stuff can be revealed until after the trial is held, and by that time, much of the info is old news.
That's what is going on in Sudbury right now. There is a bail hearing on for a very interesting capital case, but the media cannot report the details. There is amazing testimony about DNA, about fingerprints and other details that might eventually be revealed. Then again it might not be revealed.
It is also the reason the company has decided not to allow public commenting on the story or on the company's Facebook page. Anyone who does reveal details could be held in contempt of court. And yes, that includes stuff that people might post on Facebook. Be careful what you write!
I think I've said enough.

Well I sent out another order on Amazon today, only because I was able to find what I wanted at a much reduced price. One item is a piece of photography equipment and as much as I wanted to buy it locally, the Amazon price was 20 per cent cheaper, for precisely the same product. The other item, also for photography, could not be found in any local stores. I have been looking for almost two months. I found it online, and so I will buy it online. I can see why retailers are having a rough time.
I also took Jenn's advice and signed up for Amazon Prime. I am not sure how it all works, but it means quicker and cheaper shipping.
I will keep you posted.

No comments: