Friday, March 25, 2016

No Comment. A good thing.

I have to say I am pleased at the growing movement among media companies to curb the problem of commenting on media websites. I think they're doing it for the right reasons. CBC for example now requires all comments to be posted by persons who identify themselves. I don't know how that will work, but it is a step in the right direction. The Toronto Star stopped commenting altogether. Our own Postmedia publications stopped the commenting last year.
When I refer to the problem of commenting, I must explain that it is not a problem for people to have opinions. Thank goodness we all have different viewpoints on things. The problem is that far too many comments were clearly mean-spirited, so much so I think, that ordinary well-intentioned readers just sort of gave up. Some comments actually attacked other people for their opinions. The other problem is that so many comments were misinformed or deliberately put wrong information into the comments, hoping to sway opinion.
If you have an opinion, start a blog! LOL

No comments: