Thursday, December 18, 2014

What's with winter?

Winter is definitely getting milder. I live in Timmins, so I can say I know what winter weather is like. Or at least what it is supposed to be like. I remember my teen years in North Bay, when I worked in the two weeks before Christmas as a letter carrier's helper for Canada Post. I did that for a couple of years, while in high school. I remember those December mornings as being bitterly cold. I actually got used to it and took some strange pride in being able to endure freezing weather. I moved to Timmins in the early 70s and I remember those winters as being brutally cold. I was out and about today, the wind was blowing hard and it was snowy and drizzly... but the temperature was only minus nine or ten. I didn't even put my toque on. When I got home I noticed that I was wearing my fall coat. I have worn my parka less than seven days so far this winter. Anyway, winter is here. It has been mild so far. But thank goodness for Christmas ... it's a chance to spend time with the important people in your life regardless of the weather.

No comments: