Monday, August 08, 2011

Seeing a memory

They say smell is the sense that triggers our most long-forgotten memories. I had a different sensation tonight when I was outside, reading. Now, reading is my great addiction. I am deep into a new book and I lost track of time and suddenly I noticed that I was barely able to see the page because it was getting dark. I was enjoying the sounds of the evening, the smell of fresh air and the whisper of breezes through the leaves. It all came back to me that the last time I experienced that was when I was on a two-week canoe trip up north on the Abitibi River more than 25 years ago! I remember the evenings sitting by the river and relaxing with a book until darkness came. Well now I am inside. Going to play a Miles Davis album, pour a whiskey and get back to the book!

No comments: