Friday, August 26, 2011

Leaving Glasgow on the Virgin ...

Just got back into London today. After leaving the highlands, I spent a couple of days in Glasgow and it was nice. I was pleased to visit the Kelvingrove art gallery and museum. I love that kind of stuff. They’re very accommodating there and let you take photos inside. I was pleased to snap a photo of a Vincent Van Gogh painting. I also saw paintings by Rembrandt, Monet, Rubens and Degas. I never thought I would ever see such masterpieces up close. The architecture in Glasgow is also something to appreciate. I can’t get over how nicely the older buildings have survived over so many years with the sandstone and limestone. Even the train station looks like a fabulous castle. I spent some time walking around downtown Glasgow, but it was frustrating that seven or eight downtown areas were blocked off because Brad Pitt is filming a movie. I also took a walk along the River Clyde, which was famous many years for shipbuilding. In fact, it was so important that the German air force, the Luftwaffe, bombed the shipyards during World War II.
I departed Glasgow Friday morning aboard the Virgin high speed train to London which reached speeds of more than 220 kilometres per hour. I also went first class which meant I got free breakfast and free lunch. I hooked up with a bunch of fellows from Northern England who traveled to London for a rugby cup final. We plan to meet at O’Neill’s pub sometime tonight or tomorrow and they promise to teach me how to drink like an Englishman! I am not sure what I am in for.

No comments: