Sunday, September 13, 2009

I am proud of Jenn : )

Jennifer’s first day of chemo-therapy went okay, she says. She didn’t feel anything unusual but she is aware it will take a couple of days for the medication to kick in. She is amazed at the huge array of medication. There are the steroids to reduce inflammation, there are blood thinners to increase circulation, and there is vitamin-K (whatever THAT does). And she and Scott are now doing “a shot” of carrot juice each day.
She also had plenty of visitors and that sure brought her spirits up. Even when she took a nap, visitors dropped by and left gifts. Jenn was pleased with the soup that cousin Valerie brought… and she sure likes the new DVD player that Val left as well. Of course she was happy too when Candice arrived with John and Gee (Giselle) who drove down from Timmins. Gee’s sister, who is a hairstylist, sent along some scarves and hats Jenn might like when she loses her hair. The hair loss thing still bugs Jenn a bit, and she mentioned she might take the advice of a nurse and just get it cut beforehand. She is still not too sure.
We talked for the longest time last night (Which is great – but I think I talked too much after half a litre of wine) and while we talked about cancer patients we’ve known in the past, we agreed that even though chemo-therapy is not easy, it seems that they’re making it easier for patients to cope with it these days. Jenn says she sure feels grateful for the treatment and says she feels she has to do something now to “give back” in her words. I am proud of her for that. Hmmm, I’ve always been proud of Jenn.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

glad to hear jenn first day went ok

Peggy said...

Len, thank you for your updates, I am following it daily. I pray for Jen and your whole family. I think she has the absolute right outlook and I too wish for the best for her. She is young and that is definately a plus!

I am Don's sister from Anchorage and even though I do not know your family, we went through similar here with our daughter-in-law.

Line said...

You know Len, when I look at Jenn I see.......a women of strength. She is already a survivor in my eyes! She may not feel like it yet, but soon she will. I am so proud of her strength. She is truly an inspiration me. I just love that girl.