Sunday, October 26, 2008

Is Google Making Us Stupid?

That's not my title... it's the title of an article in the American magazine Atlantic Monthly that looks at the fact that too many of us have stopped reading. I heard about it from Michael Enright on CBC today. The article discusses the idea that too many people who use the internet for their daily intake of information are getting used to the idea of reading short little tidbits. I can see that happening. People do not seem to read long articles anymore...I am hoping it's a temporary thing. Anyway, click here to read the article.
I have to read for a living. But thank goodness I still read for enjoyment. My problem is that I am reading so much these days, I forget what I've read. I was in a book store some days ago and try as I might, I couldn't remember if I had read a book that looked interesting. Now I have started an excel list on my laptop, so I can keep track of the books i have read. So far I am averaging six a month...mostly fiction, a few biographies, the usual mind-candy. Now if I could just find some extra time in the day to catch up on my sleep!

No comments: