Tuesday, January 23, 2024

Discouraged ...

Sad to see when so many people are having a rough time. The latest news (January 23) from Statistics Canada shows the number of people in debt and the money they owe is now beyond the amount of cash savings people have. And yes it is also true that the wealthiest Canadians have seen their incomes rise while the lowest-income Canadians have seen their household incomes drained by the cost of living. I am not sure where I am. I am not poor and I don't have any debt. But I am not wealthy. I am also at an age where my income-earning days are numbered. I have a few monthly bills I can handle, but I don't like to see so much poverty. This past Christmas I think I donated more to local charities that ever before. Not that I am that generous, it's just that more people, more organizations had their hands out asking for help. There was a time that loonies, twoonies and $5 bills went into the charity jar. Now it's all $10 and $20 bills. I don't know what the solutions are, but I am thinking that big business and the corporations need to be a bit more generous to their workers.

No comments: