Monday, June 21, 2021

Always make a recording ...

Just noticed after reading through a Toronto Star report when dealing with police investigations, that police usually have pretty solid intentions when they investigate a crime. The problem is when they are somehow misdirected and think they are on to something that did not happen. There are times when police will come to a conclusion and then try to find evidence to match the conclusion. It's not always sinister, but it happens.

So as a news reporter I record things when I talk to people. If I talk to a police officer, I always record the conversation. No matter what people tell you, you DO NOT have to inform them. This is Canada. You can record anything for your own protection so people cannot claim you said something if you did not say it.  If a police officer talks to you, he is likely recording what you said and for sure will have a record of the conversation in his written notes. 

I have had occasions where people have a different recollection of what was actually said. When I tell them I have the actual voice recording of what was said, they suddenly back off, and say they're not sure. 

Also based on the news story in The Star, you do not have to explain everything. If you're not sure, say it. If they ask how far something is, ask for a tape measure. If they ask how long it takes to do something, ask for a stopwatch. No one is ever completely sure how long things take. No one. If you don't know something, just say so.  If the police say you're withholding information, just say, I disagree. Always tell the truth but never speculate or try to guess. 

It is one of the reasons I have a dash cam too. On one occasion when I was making a left turn, and the other guy hit me, I didn't get charged. The dash cam showed the other guy rolling through the stop sign. 

No comments: