Monday, September 28, 2020

A new plane

I am always excited about seeing new aircraft, but in this case it is a bit of a mixed emotion. Canada has purchased 16 new search and rescue aircraft from Airbus.  This is the new C295 and it is a great looking plane, except that it is made in Europe. 

The plane will be replacing two amazing aircraft models ... the DeHavilland Buffalo and the DeHavilland Caribou, a couple of beautiful planes made in Canada back in the 1950s and 1960s. Not only were they made in Canada they were made in Downsview where I lived as a child. I remember going by the aircraft plant almost daily and seeing the new aircraft rolling off the line. The planes were so good they were purchased by air forces around the world, including the United States and Australia. I always had a bit of excitement over the years whenever I saw the Buffalo or Caribou in flight. By the way, this plane No. 501 will be based at RCAF Base Comox.

No comments: