Tuesday, April 16, 2013

The good news about cancer ...


I was thinking a lot of about Jennifer this week when I met with Martin Kabat, the CEO of the Canadian Cancer Society, Ontario division. He is on a tour to celebrate the 75th anniversary of the cancer society, so he was a news story. What impressed me was meeting with some local cancer survivors, who had incredible stories. Of course, my mind wandered back to the days when Jennifer had her own struggle. And her own incredible story.
I was pleased to spend some time with a close friend, who is in her 50s. Her name is Judi.  Her grandmother died of ovarian cancer. Her mother died of ovarian cancer.  A couple of years ago, Judi was diagnosed with ovarian cancer. But now,  Judi is a survivor. Her hair is growing back and she looks great. There is a photo of her on my news websiteThank goodness there are more and more stories of people who survive. Part of Judi’s story is that the cancer focused her life in a way she never expected. Suddenly she knew what was important and what was not. And it brought her family closer together. I know that has happened in our family. Anyway I was happy to write about Judi. She is a nice lady with a wonderful family. And we were both happy to see each other. I hope we see each other for a long, long time.

No comments: