Sunday, April 22, 2012

Books, books and Bo Duke!

So I have been reading like a fiend in the past few weeks, and even though I feel guilty spending so much time reading, it has been worth it. First of all the nice weather changed into yukky rainy weather for a while, so it was good to grab a cup of Red Rose and bury my nose in the pages. Since March 30th I have gone through six books and I am about two thirds the way through the seventh book!
The latest book is a Ken Follett novel called World Without End, which is a sequel to Pillars of the Earth, one of my all time favourite books. The woman at Coles told me I should go back and re-read Pillars, but I didn't take her advice. Now that I am so deep into World Without End, (about 1000 pages with SMALL print) I think I will take the advice and go back an re-read Pillars. This stuff is like chocolate. Some of these books are so excellent. So I am making a new list of authors I haven't read for awhile and I will be visiting the book store soon. If you haven't read Follett's stuff lately, treat yourself. Pillars and World Without End is all about life in small villages in feudal England from the tenth century to the 13th century. Amazing stuff. You won't be able to put the books down... real page turners. I did break away from the books for awhile yesterday ... I went out Saturday night with friends. We all ended up at a house party playing a game of Rock and Roll trivia. I feared that I wouldn't know a thing about it ... because I don't much attention to the "new" music. Well it turned out to be about rock performers from 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s. Luckily I knew my answers. Neil (the music expert in the family) would have been proud.
I was out at the Timmins Sportsman Show today and the place was packed as usual. I was thinking about Jennifer because I got to meet Bo Duke, the actor known as John Schneider from the Dukes of Hazzard television show. I remember that Jennifer loved that show when she was a kid. And Mr. Schneider is a very pleasant fellow. He was signing autographs and I snapped a quick photo. I think Jenn would have enjoyed meeting him.

No comments: