Thursday, July 09, 2009

Crazy times eh

Well it sure has been a crazy week since I was here last. Aline and I made the trip north to James Bay, but it was overcast and raining. The train was more than two hours late arriving on the coast and then it was late leaving, and then it was more than three hours late arriving back in Cochrane. Thank goodness for the trip to the liquor store where we grabbed some Bacardi Breezers and drank them on the sly! We did meet an actress, author and opera singer on the trip. All the same person! Quite an interesting lady she was. Also met a fellow from Washington DC… he gave me his business card and he was from the US State Department -- and get this -- he was the Director for Political Affairs in Iraq. Okay, I have read too many spy novels. This guy is not from Foggy Bottom. He had Company written all over him! But he was nice to talk to.
Anyway, the train trip was 20 hours of less-than-great travelling. But I did manage to beat Aline at Crazy Eights somewhere around Otter Rapids. She will deny it of course.
Work has been good this week, but today I had to write an obit for an old friend. That sort of ruined the day. Jim Prince died of a heart attack Wednesday. That just sucks. Jim was just a damned good reporter and broadcaster. I’m sorry I didn’t make the time to check in with him more often.
Had dinner at Aline’s place with her Mom and Dad. She made barbecue pork chops and mashed potatoes. I like meat and potatoes. With all the fancy foods we can pick from these days, it’s nice to have meat and potatoes.

1 comment:

Aline said...

Ok, Len! The rule of Crazy 8 is: you have to be the first one to play all your cards.

You decided to play until we counted to 100. So, whoever had any cards left would have to count their points. When I got bored of winning every hand and not having any points to count, I didn't want to play and suggested we play Crib. The score was 58 for Len and 31 for me. Now, if you want to say that you won because you were the closest to 100, YOU WIN. :P

For the record, you did win the game of Crib.

It was so much fun spending the day with you. I can't wait to beat you at Crazy 8.... oh wait a minute! I did :) yesterday!