Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Pontiacs

It is sad to hear that General Motors is phasing out the Pontiac line. I always had a fondness for Pontiacs because my Dad liked them. He bought his first new Pontiac in 1965. It was the same year Uncle Rannie took the train to Toronto and he bought one too. I remember the first time I drove a car on a public road was my Dad’s new ’66 Pontiac Laurentian (above). We were living in Toronto and got hit with a snowstorm. Dad didn’t take the car to work but called the base to be picked up in a staff car. He told me to move the car and shovel the driveway. Yes sir! So I shovelled like crazy and when the time came to move the car, I didn’t merely move it to another part of the PMQ parking lot. I decided to take the long way around. I drove the car out of the parking lot and around a few streets and then back onto Sheppard Avenue. I was 12 years old. I could barely see over the dash and reach the gas and brake pedals at the same time. It was a hoot. People kept staring, but I just kept driving. I got back to our neighbourhood and parked beside the road. When Dad got home I could tell by his look he was wondering how the hell I got the car out of the parking lot and onto the road. He didn’t ask. I didn’t tell. A few years after that, I was thrilled because Dad bought another Pontiac… a sleek new ’69 Parisienne, which was the Canadian version of the classic Bonneville (below). This was the car I drove all through high school. Cool or what?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

If I remember correctly, Dad, Mom and Grandma went on that trip. Dad's 66 Pontiac was burgundy/wine colored. They also brought Liz and I round Doll House cases, a blue and pink one.
Martina

Anonymous said...

Wow, good memory Martina. I remember that colour, and the model... it was the 66 Strato Chief! It was a nice looling car.
Len.

Anonymous said...

Nice looking... not nice looling LOL. LG

Anonymous said...

And I thought I was the only one to drive early
RAG

Anonymous said...

Oh my god Ronald, that last comment was hilarious!!! I have been chuckling for twenty minutes.! : )
LG