Saturday, November 10, 2007

Well it's about time eh?

Just got off the phone with Jennifer, and I am laughing because I have finally reached the age where my kids give me hell. And I have to listen, because they're not kids anymore. They're grown up and they make sense.
Jenn was peeved because I hadn't phoned in a couple of weeks and what's worse, I haven't added anything to this blog! She had no way of knowing that Dad was okay. She suggested I might just as well have fallen off the face of the planet.
I told Jenn it has been a busy time, and I never realized that a month had passed since my last entry. By the way, the apple crisp I made that day was amazing. I had thoughts of sharing it with the gang at work... but once I tasted it, I said to hell with 'em... I kept it at home for me!
I told Jenn that maybe there was not enough going on in my life right now to justify writing anything, but I know that's just an excuse... especially since I am a writer.
Well the rec room is certainly warmer thanks to all the new insulation. I noticed that right away. Winter has arrived in Timmins. We got a good dumping of snow a week ago and it's here to stay. I was too lazy to put away the canoe, so I am going to wrap in in a tarp and leave on the deck in the back.
Work is keeping me extra busy, but that's okay since I enjoy it so much. Working on a small town weekly newspaper is more fun than i expected. Part of the reason is that I am "the old guy" in the local media. The good part of that is that everyone in town knows me and tells me the good stuff. People call me at home and stop me on the street to whisper all sorts of interesting news. I did a story on a city housing bylaw that city council was pushing through rather quickly. None of the other media outlets clued in on it. Once the public found out all the nitty-gritty stuff in the bylaw, they got upset. There were petitions, letters to the editor and council has had to rewrite the bylaw three times to get it passed.
A local mining company planned to do some drilling near some neighborhoods. So we did a story... put in the front page, and once again, people got riled up. So there have been a few public meetings and the mining company is treading lightly.
It's kind of fun, but it's also part of being a local paper to keep tabs on things.
I can't get over the value of the Canadian dollar these days. It's great to see. I once told my Dad, "tory times are good times"... i think he choked on his tea.
Oh, by the way, I am sipping a new whisky these days. It's called Forty Creek, its made in Ontario I think it's one of the best new Canadian whiskies anywhere. Apparently it has won all kinds of awards. I am not a whisky snob at all, but this stuff is smooth and tasty. Keep your Crown Royal and Gibsons... try this stuff.
Today was interesting. Our local member of parliament, Charlie Angus, did something innovative. He held a passport clinic at the shopping centre. Nearly 500 people showed up. Living in Timmins, we don't always benefit from efficient government services. It was nice to see some action from the MP.
I called Gary last week and he is doing well. He says the weather in Mira is still good and he gets a bit of work every now and then with a fella who lives "down the road". The best part, according to Gary, is that the man's wife is such a good cook... so good that Gary doesn't complain when she puts onions in her cooking. That's a change, when we were kids, Gary hated onions.
Finally I forgot to say happy birthday on Friday to one of my favorite Canadian Forces veterans, my brother Ronald. Happy Birthday Brother.
Well it's Saturday night, so i am going to grab a book, a glass of Forty Creek and listen to CBC Radio, which has amazing program with Randy Bachman, called Vinyl Tap. Check it out. It's good radio.
Finally, tomorrow is Remembrance Day in Canada. Don't sit around. Get a poppy and get out to whatever services or cermonies are going on. Show your support for your fellow Canadians past and present. Next time you're at Tim's, buy a cup of coffee for one of the vets you see there all the time.

No comments: