Thursday, November 22, 2007

Nov. 22... i won't forget it.

I guess it's because I am part of that generation that grew up in the sixties. I do indeed remember the day(Nov. 22, 1963), sitting in school, when the voice came over the PA annoucing "President Kennedy has been shot". Because ours was a Catholic School and because Kennedy was a good Boston Catholic, well that was just enough reason for the nuns to inflict another kneecap-bustin' round of the Rosary on us. I remember thinking "jeezus... sure hope the friggin pope doesn't die..." And the prayers would drone on, and I don't know if anyone else did, but I would drift off... Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name, thy kingdom come... coming down the ice with a rebound off the boards. Brewer passes. Armstrong's got the puck! Beliveau tries to catch him. It's a pass. Shack! Eddy Shack is crossing the red line and crowd here at the Gardens is on its feet..... I wonder if the nuns ever caught on why I liked to close my eyes and smile during prayers.
Anyway, the Kennedy killing still fascinates me... and a lot of others too I suppose. Well known lawyer and author Vincent Bugliose has written a book -- called Reclaiming History:The Assassination of President John F. Kennedy. It always gets noticed this time of year. This is supposed to be the final word on the shooting. Bugliosi is not to be taken lightly. He is the same lawyer that put away Charlie Manson for the Tate/Labianca murders (another 60s thing). Apparently he has spent more than 20 years researching the book and has come to some startling conclusions. I can't wait to get a copy. Of course, they're all being snatched up right now for Christmas gifts... I will probably have to wait awhile.

No comments: