Saturday, August 05, 2006

Show the flag.

There was an interesting column in the Toronto Sun today by Joe Warmington. I knew Joe when he was a reporter in Sault Ste. Marie before he moved away to the big city. In any event, his column urges Canadians to fly a flag in support of our troops in Afghanistan. I think it's a good thing. We are in a tough time when soldiers are dying. But they're making the world better. A few years ago I recall news reports of the Taliban publicly executing Afghan citizens in the Kabul soccer stadium. They'd line people up and shoot them in the head. These Taliban guys are the world's newest Nazis. I am glad there are people who will stand up to them. I have members of my immediate family, and my extended family, who are in the Canadian Forces and in Afghanistan. I send them my thanks and my best thoughts for a safe return.

No comments: