Wednesday, October 07, 2026

Pea Soup with bacon

I admit that Habitant Pea Scoup is one of my favourite foods, but I also confess that I enjoy making my own pea soup because it is just so delicious. I made abig batch of pea scoupl earlier this year, but in my enthusiasm I added big chunk of salt pork, which is believed added an authentic touch to the recipe. To my disappointment, the salt pork was far too salty. I was not aware of this because my generation was not privy to the methods of daily cooking with salt pork ... something my mother and grandmothers would have known about. 
So I picked up a pound of split yellow peas and was determined to do it better. Just so you know, a traditional can of Habitant Pea Soup now retails for $3.49 at most grocery stores. The price for a pound of split peas was only $2.99.
I confess I also used a litre of Campbell Soup chicken broth. Add $2.99 to the total.

 So it took about five hours of simmering on the stove top and it turned out very nice. I had to add about halfa teaspoon of salt to the pot, which was about six litres of soup. I had two bowls and the rest when into the freezer. So was it good. Delicious! So I can look forward to a few more nice suppers with pea soup and a grilled cheese, or ham and cheese on a nice multi-grain toasted sandwich.

CORRECTION; Three litres of soup ... enough to fill six 500 ml jars.

No comments: