Thursday, October 10, 2024

Las Vegas

Still at home recovering from my first ever trip to Las Vegas. And no I didn't misbehave. If anything I am disappointed. It was a bucket list thing for me, having never been there before.
I took some vacation time and decided I would also take in the Mine Expo, which is the world's largest mining technology convention. Besides, it was a cheap holiday considering that flights and hotel rooms are far less expensive to other places I have visited in recent years. Much cheaper than Vancouver or London for example. To make a long story short, I injured myself. I severely sprained by left hip and knee. It doesn't help when I tell the story that this happened when I was getting off a barstool. I wasn't at all tipsy. It's just the way I twisted my body ... after having only two pints of Bud Light. I slipped and landed badly on my left heel before catching myself from a serious fall. So as I returned to my hotel room on Tuesday Sept 24, my left leg was very sore. And when I went to bed my hip and knee were screaming at me. I figured part of the problem was that I had overextended myself that day with all the walking and touring I did. So I spent the best part of the following three days in my room, in varying degrees of pain as I swallowed a couple of bottles of Advil. I just could not get comfortable and the pain was constant. Upon returning to Sudbury, I went to the emergency room and instead of a long wait, they looked after me quickly and sent me for X-rays. I told them I was a senior citizen who had a minor fall. They reacted quickly. The attending doctor told me nothing was broken but my hip flexor muscle was sprained. She said that would explain the severe pain, which was still with me last Saturday. The pain was from my left knee, along my thigh, around my hip to my butt and lower back. So she prescribed Naproxen and told me to lay off the Advil, which was upsetting my stomach. She also gave me a prescription to ease the stomach trouble. So working from home as I wait for my leg to heal. More stories coming later.

No comments: